Saturday, February 20, 2010

General Farm Work Saturday

Fantastic T-shirt weather and I was able to get a lot done.
  1. Planted another 50 lbs of rye grass seed (I planted 50 lbs the other day right before the snow storm) out in the pasture.
  2. Finished the wood floor trim in our family room
  3. Installed the wheel on the tractor
  4. Removed the tainted oil from the tractor (the gas tank had used gravity to empty itself into the oil - see the results below)
  5. Installed a manual fuel shut-off valve on the gas line (to prevent a recurrence of number 4 above)
  6. Welded up the hay-ring where the cattle had broken and then bent it up - then I hauled it up to the cattle and put it over a round bale
  7. Finished my homemade 3-pt round bale mover thingymabobber


This is the "oil" that came out of my engine today. Yikes. I am hoping the grey color is not my cylinder walls and bearings ground into a fine powder...

This is the grey schmeg dripping out where the oil filter was


See the farm jack that is holding up the tractor? Not the jackstand under the rear axle, the farm jack just to the front of the rear axle. As I jacked it up, the jack went into the ground more than the tractor went up. By the time I got it to stop sinking, it had gone under ground.

Ginger found the hole from the jack and was very intrigued by it. Here she samples the depth.

5 comments:

Nancy Sabina said...

Sometimes it blows my mind what a true farmer you are. (I mean that in a good way)

Mark A said...

So yaknow hylift makes a base for the jack for just such an situation, but I have always done fine with a ~10"x10" of inch and a quarter plywood with a couple of screws in it that line up with my jacks base holes. I have even used it on snow with min sinking. Even a chunk of 2x4 would work.

Mark A said...

On the other hand... looks like a sweet way to make post holes.

Mark A said...

On the other hand... I guess you got the job done.

angela michelle said...

I can't believe how much stuff you get done. You're amazin.