Monday, January 21, 2008

Unloadin' the Clip

We have been super busy lately with the installation of these hardwood floors. Granted, we aren't working on them full-time, but they are taking forever and we are nowhere near half done yet. It's going to be a long haul. Tonight, after a good session of floor installation, I took a break to get the big cage re-installed in the bed of the truck in anticipation of picking up 3 pregnant Angora goats tomorrow down in Kemp (SE of Dallas.)



I don't think the one in the middle in the above picture is an angora, but the white one to the right with the long hair certainly is, as is the white one in the back left. They look to have pretty good hair. Their owner also mentioned something interesting - that an Angora goat crossed with a Pygmy goat (plentiful and inexpensive) makes a goat that has an extremely fine/soft hair and that is plenty long (she said 6-8") so that sounds like something fun to try for. Apparently of the three nannies I'm getting, one is about to kid very soon and the other three are a little farther behind (spring kids?) That is kind of exciting - I was thinking it was going to be till spring when the Shetland sheep give birth that we would have our first birthings around here.

Here's the fathers. They are for sale too, but they are far too expensive since their owner seems to think that hunters will pay big bucks for them since they have such long horns. I'm hoping that maybe I'll be able to trade one of the babies (if there are any billies) to another Angora breeder to get some new genes once they get a little older. Nice racks huh?




Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I wanted to mention how difficult it is to shoot a rabbit with a pistol. I have a 9-shot revolver and I unloaded the clip on a couple rabbits this evening with nary a hit. It is just tough to get those iron sites to line up on such a small target. The rabbits seem to appreciate that though. One more thing - there is currently a little owl living in my shop. We left the big doors open one night and then closed them during the day - apparently that is all that is needed to keep ones shop rodent free. I figure I'll let him out tomorrow night.

2 comments:

Eastside Business said...

It's simple - Gearhead Farmer!

Great work Farmer Joe!

Any interest in becoming a hair farmer?

Hair Farmer Joe
www.TheHairFarmer.com

Farmer Joe said...

LOL - I actually do have interest after viewing your site, but I think I'll need to get a job outside corporate america before I can start growing my locks....