Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Errant Cow

Bad news. After scouring the property and all the neighboring lands (both at day and after dark, when I figured she would be most ready to come home) one of our longhorns is long gone. I can't figure where she might be, but it really stinks. I was motoring all around the neighboring farms on the little minibike and saw nothing.

More bad news. I finally got the new front wheel bearing for the truck that is on blocks in the shop and the 40mm socket I would need to get the old one off. I was all set to get that whole project done and out of the shop tonight. I went out there and hooked up my new Harbor Freight breaker bar to the new 40mm socket and after jumping on it with no luck at all, I set a 6 pipe on the breaker bar to increase the torque and promptly proceeded to break the new breaker bar - and no, the nut still didn't budge. So, after hammering on it for 5 minutes with the impact wrench and breaking the breaker bar, the nut has yet to budge, and I am unable to do anything on that project. Seriously though, how much torque is it going to take to get that stupid thing off?

3 comments:

Nancy Sabina said...

I don't know much about cars, but if it's anything like the always-stuck Vanilla bottle, all you need to do is run it under the hot water for a second and it will just twist with ease!

Unknown said...

Or you can try some Coca Cola ;)

Farmer Joe said...

Nancy, the heat idea was suggested to me by a neighbor-farmer, but he was thinking more along the lines of a blow torch. I don't have one and it is tough to get the axle into the kitchen sink for the hot water trick.

Mayo, I have also heard about the Coca-Cola trick. I have some "liquid wrench" that is supposed to work a bit faster, but in this case, the nut was not rusted in place, it just was torqued in place. Something like 300 ft-lbs.

Tonight, I borrowed a bigger breaker bar, put the 6-foot pipe back on it, then, instead of just torquing on the pipe, I put a bit of torque on it and then started beating the snot out of the socket with a hammer. After just a few minutes of that, the nut just let go as if it was nothing and backed right off. It was somewhat amazing. The new bearing and brakes are installed and the truck drives great!