Thursday, September 10, 2009

Politics

I drove back from Tulsa last night. It gave me lots of time to listen to the President's speech (which felt something like a punch to the gut followed immediately by a half hour of cuddling) and the subsequent debate, but it also gave me time to consider the uproar about the journalist who was rescued by NATO while his interpreter was killed. The thing that struck me most was that this situation, which resulted in the death of a NATO commando, 2 civilians, and an interpreter was entirely caused when this reporter disregarded warnings about the area and put his own life/freedom in jeopardy by going there. I felt like the media did us all a disservice by 'glossing over' the fact that this journalist indirectly caused the deaths of 4 innocent people, but it really blew my mind to see this article this morning which puts the blame for the death of the interpreter on the "actions of a NATO commando unit." Are you kidding me? In my view, the blame for any and all deaths lies squarely on the shoulders of the journalist who disregarded warnings about the area and got himself and his interpreter kidnapped. The media has this one all wrong.

1 comment:

angela michelle said...

ooh I missed a chance to talk to you while you drive!