Thursday, December 31, 2009

The Saga of the Master Bath

Our home is an ongoing saga of transformation. Unfortunately, that transformation has been hard-earned and has not been quick in arrival. A case in point is the master bathroom which started its transformation shortly after we moved in several years ago when Jessica started tearing off the floral wallpaper. It sat in that state for some time, then in August of this year, we finally got all the drywall modifications completed and the texture sprayed. Since then, I hinted about the next phase in a post on this blog in September, and posted this picture:

This was the beginning of the process of installing granite countertops in the same master bath. Ironically, the hardest part of the whole project turned out to be finding the right drill bit (it is a diamond bit 1 1/4" hole saw bit - pictured below on the drill) and then drilling the two holes for the sinks through the granite tile. Here's a picture from that project that documents the little clay dams I used to retain a little pool of cooling water around the drill site while I patiently (for like an hour per hole) drilled away without exerting too much pressure. The little notched piece of wood was the "template" I used to steady the drill bit as I started the holes (to keep the bit from walking.)


In the end, I think it all turned out worthwhile and we are happy with the final product (even though it took two years plus to accomplish.) Here is the finished product:



With the sink mocked up with the new faucet on the freshly grouted tile:

And finally, with the new Ikea mirrors installed, and a matching towel bar:


By the way, stay tuned to Jessica's blog - surely she will soon get this place all decorated up and post some before/after pictures which really are quite dramatic (I think.)

5 comments:

Nancy Sabina said...

Very cool! I think that's definitely an update that will pay you back when you sell the house.

Jessica said...

How did I end up with such a handy hubby?

Wendy said...

NICE!

Unknown said...

I missed this post until today.
But I would still like to say: Joe, you're a miracle worker ! Goed gedaan jochie ! (op z'n Utrechts)
It's looking great!

Kirstin said...

Are you suggesting, Farmer Joe, that I shouldn't blame my children's behavior, or my own impatience, on an inanimate object like a shopping cart?! What would this country come to if we all started taking responsibility for our actions, or worse yet, following through on consequences!?

P.S. "Adam" digs the new sinks. Come fix our bathroom next.