Monday, December 8, 2008

Have we had this conversation before

I speak spanish - I am a gringo


Just about everytime I end up speaking spanish with a native spanish speaker for the first time, the question is posed, "where are you from."  It's a simple question, but my answer is not really the answer they are looking for:

I respond, "from here - I am a pure gringo."  
Inevitably, the follow-up question is, "yes, but where were you born?"  
I respond, "New Mexico." 
"Oh, well, then that explains it."  
This is where I have to say, "but I've never actually lived there."

Seriously, it is almost remarkable how all conversations I have in spanish start at that point.  From there, we go on to discuss the finer points of learning construction spanish in Dallas, then working with spanish people on a church mission in Massachusetts, and lots of practice.  I suppose I could skip the whole new Mexico thing, but I have to admit, it is kind of fun to just check to see if I can get that same conversation every time - it has never failed me yet.

1 comment:

angela michelle said...

seriously--you know what they're trying to find out and yet you give them a red herring answer. why? are you related to your father or something?

i have a similar experience when people see me with jesse and haley. they say, "so...." and I can see them trying to formulate a tactful question, so I just say, "she's adopted" which is really what they want to know.