Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Carpet - It's A Nasty Place

Today's work at the farm was fruitful in some ways and beyond nasty in others. At the end of the day, Jessica is confident that we'll be able to meet our deadlines and actually be moved into this place by the 7th of November.

We finished getting the ceramic tile out of the entryway (I have the blisters to prove it.) Jessica also removed all the Pergo out of the family and living rooms as well as some carpet from several of the rooms and started hand-troweling texture onto the family room walls. Mom & dad came out for a few minutes to check things out and took the kids home early (thanks) and we also even unloaded some of my garage tools into the shop.

Did I mention that there was also some time for a tractor-ride. (I am finding that there always seems to be time for a tractor-ride.) Winter and Ginger today were the lucky participants and they were both pretty enthusiastic about it. Winter and I drove part of the fence line. It looked good.

I suppose I should also mention that I received my first (of many to come I am sure) wasp stings at the farm today. One got inside my glove somehow and nailed me twice. I always used to tell people that one of the reasons I didn't like TX is the biting/stinging bugs. Since I am consciously making an effort to make the best of this, I am going to do like my dad does and chalk up this latest sting to bee-sting therapy. Sound intriguing? Ask him about it sometime.

The piece de resistance came after Jessica had called it a day (she had already gone home) and I
decided to pull the odoriferous carpet from the master bedroom. It was basically stinking up the whole house. We knew it was bad (knowledge based on two clues: 1. the stench 2. It was brown everywhere...except where their bed was at - where it was white) but I had no clue a carpet could be as foul as this.

These are pictures of what was UNDER the carpet. Literal dirt traffic patterns that had sifted through the carpet and pad. The first one is the view of the entry into the room right after the carpet pad was pulled. The clean spot is where the bed was. The second shot is more of the same with the dirt paths leading into another room on the left and into the master bathroom on the right. You'll also want to note the miscellaneous urine stains throughout. The smell is actually worse now that the carpet is out. After the dirt is removed, we'll be bleaching the concrete for
sure.

7 comments:

Mark A said...

That is truly sick!
What kind of floor are you putting in?

Nancy Sabina said...

Yuck yuck yuck. It makes me want to rip all my carpet out since I happen to know that at least 4 cats at the same time inhabited my house before it was my house. But since I am adding to the grossness now by giving Asher sippy-cups of milk and letting him walk around, I guess I'll wait. And some day it's WOOD WOOD WOOD all over this house, baby.

angela michelle said...

At some point--I guess when we ripped the carpet out of that house in Orem--Mark got some kind of industrial bleach and mopped the concrete with it. If you want to know what it was, call him at work because he won't be here again until Saturday night :(
Don't you love tearing out carpet, though? Think of all those nasty germs and mites gone, gone, gone.

angela michelle said...

Joe, what are we going to do about the fact that you're writing a beautiful blog about idyllic life at a big farm. How will this not end up deflating the family compound plans?

Farmer Joe said...

Ang, I'm making lemon-juice here - it's all a facade. TX is great (I'm just keep telling myself that) but it'll never woo the rockies out of me. Plus, did I mention I had two wasp stings within the first two days at the farm?

Farmer Joe said...

So you want a family compound huh? Check out this link:
http://dallas.craigslist.org/grd/459924341.html

It's less than 1/2 hour from our farm.

angela michelle said...

Wow, what a price on that 50 acres. It's kind of a bummer. The compound could be practically in place except for the lameness of Texas and its distance from the Church Office Building. Just don't forget about the potential joys of telling your kids, "Go run over to Aunt Angela's"