Saturday, April 12, 2008

Pre-first Impressions

I met a guy who has been subcontracting for me for several years for
the first time this week in Tulsa. It was strange on several levels
to be talking to a complete stranger (by appearance) who sounds like
an old friend. This is not something rare for me in my line of work.
I have several contractors who have been woorking for me since 2004
that I still have never met. I also met a contractor in Tulsa who I
have been speaking with for a couple of weeks. He mentioned that I
sound older than I look and that my voice sounds like one from
'someone bigger.'
It's always interesting to hear other people's impressions of you
based on the sound of your voice alone. In my case, I think sounding
older/wiser probably helps me in negotiating with these folks.
Changing gears a bit, my dad has neotiated a deal on a motorcycle for
the farm. I am VERY excited about the prospect of some mechanized
mayhem, but wonder just how excoted to get. Do I dare daydream about
a newer and decently sized bike? Or should I resign myself to a
moped-looking, dilapidated, piece of junk that will require more
wrenching than riding? Here's where I am roght now w/ my pre-first
impression. I, guessing it's an early 90s model, 125cc with a few
tears in the seat, needing a carb rebuild, but mostly in good shape.
We'll know within a few days.

3 comments:

angela michelle said...

From feedback I get on pre-first impressions, I think my appearance doesn't match my personality. Also, from talking with resume clients on the phone, I've learned that my voice when I have a cold is very sexy ;)

Farmer Joe said...

Hilarious!

There is this (crazy) telemarketer in our office (mom knows her) who will stop dead in her tracks when I say something as I am getting over a cold. She says my voice is dead sexy. I just laugh - what else can I do?

Farmer Joe said...

Hey....How YOU doing!?!?

(Friends - Joey Tribiani)