Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Return of the Smurf

In a very twisted turn of events, we are now the official owners of an early 90s, blue, 3-banger, geo metro. Yep, we just dropped a princely sum of no less than $900 on this bad boy tonight. Here's the description according to the previous owner:


1994 geo metro 5 speed 1.0 liter, has been a commuter all of it's life.Has heat and cold a/c. Average 43 MPG.Runs great has 193k miles.Has 30k miles on new clutch and timing belt.$1000 obo. Call 972-824-7330
Those in "the know" may remember that I drove a 91 model of this exact same vehicle (and color) all through highschool. That car also took my sister Nancy through HS and was used by my brother Mark as well. After we got married, my parents basically gave it to Jessica and I and we drove it until we were run off the road by a Durango making a right turn out of the middle lane (we were in the lane to his right.) We sold it for $600 with a badly damaged door and fenders and a bad CV joint.
Fast forward to today, and I was all smiles as I drove this bad boy down our gravel road listening to a deafening chorus of rocks as they flipped up into the undercarriage and pinged off the muffler. Friends and family familiar with the old smurf are hereby cordially invited to visit the farm at their leisure for a stroll down a gas-miserly memory lane powered by the venerable 1.0 Liter engine. This speed machine is a weedwacker on wheels baby!

5 comments:

Nancy Sabina said...

Righteous!!! I can't believe it! Ahh the memories of that little smurf. Did you know that a couple of times my friends picked our smurf up and moved it over a couple of parking spots to throw me off (I always parked in the exact same spot). I hope it lasts long enough that one of your kids can drive it to school. -But I think that would be a miracle.

Wendy said...

soooo.... what is the exact reasoning behind this purchase?

Farmer Joe said...

Wendy, the exact reason behind the purchase can be summed up in the following short statement

55 MPG!!

It is currently in need of a tuneup and is therefore *only* getting 45 mpg (better than many hybrids out there I might add.) Anytime we have to drive anywhere, it costs us a fortune and this little puppy is going to greatly alleviate the crazy fuel bill. We aren't selling any of our other vehicles, but anticipate that we will still save (big) even with the hefty $900 initial investment and increased insurance premiums. In case you hadn't noticed, gas is heading the way of the Dutch around here.

angela michelle said...

That is super cool. I remember when Dad bought the original geo when he moved to Portland a few weeks/months ahead of the fam--or when he was commuting to Portland--or something?

I'm a huge fan of buying great cars with high miles right at the moment where you can drive them for years and their value holds pretty much steady.

2lavas said...

I used to be a proud owner of not one, but TWO of these babies. Got one from a neighbor for $50. It ran for almost a year after we put a new clutch and tires on it. Sucker burned 2 quarts of oil a week. No way it passed emissions with the engine it had when I sold it. The red one we had for 5 or 6 years was sold in a dark parking lot to some guy for $300 CASH b/c it had blown the pushrod bearings for the THIRD time. Now its a '98 Subie wagon, Yeah!