Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Out of the Sheepin' Biz

We bid adieu to the sheep today. We sold the ram, the whether and the 3 ewes to another family here in the Leonard area. The idea is to focus on the Angora goats. Here is why I prefer the goats:

  1. They are currently "free-ranging" around our farm with no fencing. They don't leave! They just stay close to home - it is great.
  2. They never intentionally try to kill me
  3. They never intentionally try to ruin our fencing
  4. I don't have to worry about the kids being near them (as much)
  5. Their fleeces are far more valuable than the sheep's
  6. They are not as skittish and are more friendly

I have to admit I will miss the "lanolin" smell of working with sheep, and the cuteness of the little lambs running and leaping and whatnot, but I am totally over it.

4 comments:

angela michelle said...

"the whether"? What does that mean? Learn me something, oh farmer joe.

Farmer Joe said...

As in "whether o whether have my nuts dissappeared to..." or "whether o whether is my manhood" etc. etc.

How do you spell eunuck anyway?

angela michelle said...

ha ha, or as in "o I have withered"

eunuch

Okay, I've been researching this fascinating new word: it's "wether" for rams.

check out http://www.eunuch.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1112

angela michelle said...

but be careful when you check out that link as some people apparently are personally invested--if you know what I mean--in the topic of castration