Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Wanderlust Cow

The neighbors have a little bull that is coming of age. He can come right up to the fence that separates him from our cows and I guess I have been a little lax lately about keeping the fence really hot (seems like the cows would have learned their lessons by now) and it has been running about 1/2 power lately. I haven't really had the gumption to go figure out why until just recently.

One of the longhorns jumped the fence to go visit the little bull! :(

I always thought the bull would come see the cows (not the other way) but I guess longhorns are known for being a more athletic species of cattle. So I spent several hours tonight whacking back weeds and looking for shorts in the fence to get it back up to full power. Tomorrow I'll go see about luring the cow back off the neighbor's lot with feed.

If the feed doesn't work, I'm planning on using our new mini-motorcycle to "herd" her back to our place. I'm actually almost kinda half hoping that I will have to do that - it sounds like fun.

3 comments:

Clyde said...

"I'm planning on using our new mini-motorcycle to "herd" her back to our place. I'm actually almost kinda half hoping that I will have to do that"... You're sure a talented BUT crazy farmer Joe!

angela michelle said...

"lust" indeed!

Grandpa Earl said...

Joe, why not get all your cows together with that young bull. Forget about genetics and let nature take its course so you can have a MILK cow instead of a frustrated herd of maidens. Or call that AI dude and get it done.