Monday, August 23, 2010

Finito

Back when we were certifying as foster parents, our "qualification" paperwork required a lot of responses regarding any "losses" that we may have felt over the years. The concept of a "loss" was new to me at the time and though I feel a bit lame saying it, I really had to stretch to think of any loss that I had experienced in my life that had left sufficient impression to warrant documentation (I guess I am lucky.) In fact, thinking back at what I must have listed, the only item I can actually recall at this particular moment is the passing of two of my grandparents.


I feel compelled to return from an inadvertent blog hiatus today to record an old and atrophied, seldom-used and mostly forgotten feeling that has gradually settled on me in the way a silent cloud of ash first dusts, then coats, then covers. It is loss.

A faithful friend of 3 years is gone. Gone forever I'd guess. Justin, the livestock guard dog and the best dog we've ever had (by a long shot) went today to a new home with some lady who promised him a good home in the country East of Dallas. Now, I'm not a smart man, but I know what love is. At least that is what they say. What do I say? I loved that dog. Today, this ranch/house is no longer our home. That's all I have to say about that.

In other news, I have to give props to Jessica. As I walk around this house (which is rapidly becoming more and more empty as each and every day progresses) I realize how much work this woman has been doing. I mean, this move (which was feared by me to be the worst of any move thus far in our short lives) is rapidly becoming a 2-3 hour job. Over the last month or so, she has worked tirelessly to sell/donate/clean/organize/consolidate and pack our things to a uber-condensed version of our former clutter. It really is amazing - this girl is a worker, and I do love her - even more than the dog....like a lot more...it's hard to describe....I am gonna stop now.

4 comments:

skideewink said...

I love and will miss your dear wife as well as your family embarks on this new adventure. But also to know Justin is gone my heart is a bit teary as well. He is a very special dog. And I don't just say that cause I am a "dog" person. I will feel his loss along with that of your entire family.
Love ya guys!

Jessica said...

You trying to make me cry?

I love that dog too, and I believe he is the first dog I truly loved. Just thinking that he is no longer at the house, makes me want to cry. And then you throw your nice little tribute for me in there....
I love you too! And more than the dog.

Nancy Sabina said...

I admit to chuckling a little bit at you and Jessica's sweetness. Not many people can put such feeling into a statement like "I love you more than the dog." It's cute.

...And that's probably the closest I've come to insulting you in a long time...

angela michelle said...

kind of reminds me of one time when we were dating Mark told me, "I love you more than Church history." which if you know Mark, is a pretty big deal.

you guys are leaving a lot behind. you just don't know what awesome things you'll find next.