Tuesday, November 20, 2007

The Green Snitch

No, it's not a new tree-huggin' Harry Potter book - it's me. I have mixed emotions about what I did today. I responded to a CL ad to pickup some free 55 gallon drums and when I got there they were all partially full w/ various industrial chemicals - up to 4-5 gallons in one. None were labeled. I figured the only possible outcome to this situation is someone dumps these unknown chemicals into the storm drains.
So, I got on the EPA website & reported them. On one hand, I feel bad for crucifying the one who offered the free stuff, but on the other, it's a dirty trick to foist toxic
waste on people looking for an empty drum or two.

2 comments:

angela michelle said...

Which leads us to your sacrament meeting talk--I think you should talk about how one of the things that makes America great is the rule of law. Joe, you make America great by having exactness and honor in following the laws of the land. My bro-in-law Alberto from Mexico City loves the way you can drive safely, display wares on the sidewalk, and travel on public transit safely here because people follow the laws.

Farmer Joe said...

Hmmm....maybe I should go on a rant about folks breaking laws they consider minor....like full stops at stop signs, the speed limit, and failure to signal for turns?

But yeah, I think the main reason Mexico is not like Canada (in that they have their own stable economy) is that they can't seem to root out the major corruption that penetrates into even the very lowest levels of their bureaucracy.