Friday, March 21, 2008

Sorensons to the Rescue

I found out yesterday as I attempted to get my ticket to fly home from O'Hare that in an act of sheer negligence, I accidentally booked my flight to return on APRIL 20th, not March 20th. Due to the spring break season, bad weather, and misalignment of Venus, there were NO seats available to get me home until Sunday evening with United (and even then at considerable expense.) So, I bought a one-way ticket from Southwest for Friday evening and called my "lifeline" in Chicago. The Sorensons were extremely gracious and took me in for the night and I am now at their house working remotely and waiting for my flight out of Midway tonight. Now the only question is, how am I going to get from Love Field (where the plane will land) to Dallas/Ft. Worth Int'l Airport where my truck is parked? I feel like I am starting to run low on "lifelines" here.....

Now my gripe, how could an online booking system allow me to make such a stupid mistake? Can't they put in some kind of warning that says "now booking your 30 day travel plan" or even better yet, "Did you notice that you have conflicting flights booked with United?" (Because I already have another flight booked with them to do Dallas to Chicago and back next week, so I obviously am not waiting in Chicago until April 20!) Anyway, I ain't crying over spilt milk here, but I am fearful that this act of negligence was so easy to incur that I may just end up doing it again someday. If United were Google, I know this would not have happened.

5 comments:

Nancy Sabina said...

I am curious, what are your feelings about Google that would lead you to say "If United were Google, I know this would not have happened."?

Glad you'll make it home for Easter though - and I'm sure Jessica is too.

Nancy Sabina said...

I just made a comment but I have no idea if blogger kept it or lost it in the error I got. Oh well.

Farmer Joe said...

Lost it - what was the comment?

Farmer Joe said...

OK - now your comment is there - wierd.

Google would have put in an algorythm that would let you know that you were about to do something totally out of character with your previous actions, they would fix a problem rather than claiming that it wasn't a problem (and inferring that the customer is the problem). I say this because they are the masters of the algorythm and because they produce products that allow a user to successfully use them by doing nothing more than being a user. You don't have to learn Google to use Google, you just have to login and start using it. User-friendliness...in a word...that is the power of Google.

Wendy said...

hope you'll make it home for easter!!!