Thursday, March 26, 2009

A Good Day

It was a good day.  How can I tell?  Well, because I was able to incorporate this formula into an actual Excel spreadsheet at work to solve a somewhat problematic data issue:

=INDIRECT(CONCATENATE("'Data Summary'!",(ADDRESS((6+$I$1),8,1))))
My wife thinks I am crazy for being so excited about it, but it isn't every day that you can nestle three rarelyp-used formulas into a single formula to perform a specific purpose in a spreadsheet.  It's like finally being able to use the lowest key on the piano, or the smallest wrench in your toolbox, or something like that.  It is just a rare and fun occasion.  (this one's for you UnkyGiash - who says I never speak on work on this blog?)

Another good thing?  My good ol' pops just saved us $870.00 today.  We had already received a $900 check from our (now bankrupt) home warranty company to replace our water heater (which has been popping the high-temp override switch on a daily basis) and with $30 in parts and an hour of labor, we just replaced all the parts and have what is practically a new water heater.  I never would have done that - I would have just taken the plumber's advice and got a new heater.  So, here's looking at you pop.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

CONCATENATE? Dude, you must be some kind of Excel NINJA! That's awesome!

Grandpa Earl said...

We actually only replaced all the electronic components. Let that be a lesson to all readers. $32 for 2 new heating elements, 2 thermostats, and a breaker. I also spent $7 on a new element wrench. Then an hour or less of work and it's all good.

Catherine M. said...

My admiration is affirmed. Brilliant. Matt agrees.