Thursday, March 5, 2009

The Laws of Success

I just read a book and this is the first time I am trying this link to the Goodreads review that I wrote for it, so we will see how it looks in Blogger. Here we go:

The laws of success The laws of success by Sterling W Sill

My review

rating: 3 of 5 stars
This was a very interesting read for me. The book was written in the 60s by a man steeped in the 40s/50s mentality and some of the concepts (the role of women, the importance of one's reputation, etc.) are definitely dated and could be considered offensive to the thinnest skinned politically correct. On the other hand, Mr. Sill lays out a very navigable path to self-improvement and self-motivation. The book is formatted in a manner that is NOT conducive to cover to cover reading and is probably better suited as a "bathroom book." Each chapter is a short and totally independent short sermon on a particular "law" that should be adhered to in the attempt to gain success (professionally, spiritually, emotionally, etc.) I started out reading the book as a novel. That did not work and I was about to abandon the book because it really didn't go anywhere. I changed tactics in about chapter 6 and was soon down to where I was reading a chapter or two a day. That worked out very nicely and gave me a daily boost of character-building advice and knowledge. I believe that Mr. Sill has succeeded in defining the laws that could lead one to a path towards true success. For that, the book gets 5 stars, but for a lack of readability and dated notions, I downgraded it to just three.

View all my reviews.

No comments: