Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Sterling's B-day

We celebrated Sterling's B-day early on Sunday with Grandma & grandpa.  We gave Sterling an Adam's Trail-a-bike and he seemed happy with it, but since it was Sunday, we didn't go for any long rides or anything and he really didn't mention anything about it until today when he asked if we could go for a ride today after school.  I told him yes and tried to slip out with him incognito, but Ginger is always quick to notice any furtive activity around the back door and sure enough, we were busted.  She came out in tears knowing that she was getting ditched - it was too much and I buckled.  The result:


This bike is currently set up for Jessica (women's saddle, low seat) and I just went ahead and rode it as is...ouch!  With the saddle being that low, it was a killer on the knees.  After viewing these pics that Jessica took, I think Sterling's seat was too low as well.  I'd figure we prolly rode a couple of miles (maximum) in an out and back, but it was real punishment.  
The seat post on the Trek (pictured above) is a 26.9mm diameter and my Ellsworth has a 31.6mm.  That seemingly insignificant difference makes it so that I need to order a new collar for the trail-a-bike to get it to work on my Ellsworth.  After today's ride, I can tell you that I will be ordering that part very soon.  I want to try to take Sterling on a real trail or two - once we get him a good helmet.

3 comments:

Nancy Sabina said...

Looks like fun! What a good Daddy he has (and Ginger, too!).

Mark A said...

Dude! The family Train! That's my dream.

angela michelle said...

What a fun present for Sterling! It's perfect--now he can follow you in every way. Looks like it'll be quite a workout for regardless of seats, etc. Reminds of Brenda Andrus's song/poem about biking w Mike him putting his hand on her back to help push her up steep sections of slick rock.