Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Cowboyin'

We had a special treat today - Uncle Keith, Uncle Bill and G-pa Earl came out to test out some weaponry on the back-40.  While they were here, I convinced them (it wasn't hard) to see if they could help me get the new cow (hereby christened Big Mama) into the stock trailer so I could move her from one pasture (with low grass) to a fresh pasture (with nice tall grass.)  I had been slowly trying to urge her into the trailer with feed, but she wasn't having it.  Bill and Keith suggested that we relocate the trailer to a less muddy spot and that worked well enough to get her very close to the trailer, but she still didn't seem very motivated to get in it, so Bill suggested we cut some of that nice tall grass from the new pasture and use it to lure her into the trailer.  It didn't take long after that to get her into the trailer and with a swift and correlated bump of the gates to her backside (Keith and I synchronized our watches and then sprung the trap,) she hopped right in.  It was a short and pleasant trip up to the new pasture and she was shortly romping around in nice fresh hay and getting acquainted with all the other livestock that were up there waiting for her.


It would have been really difficult without all the help (I tend to drive my trailer by braille when I am working alone) and I sure appreciated it.  Hopefully the other parties involved enjoyed a little bit of good ol' fashioned texas longhorn cowboyin'

1 comment:

angela michelle said...

way to give those city slickers an adventure!