Monday, May 25, 2009

In Memorium (or something)

Back when I was a youngsta, me an' a pal made ourselves a (pathetic excuse for a) boat out of 2X4s and plywood. We christened it the "Dawg" and though we used it frequently, it certainly made a good show of living up that that name.  Somewhere (I can't seem to find it) I have a picture of my grandpa and me taking that dog of a boat out fishing - it is one of my favorites. For some reason, that picture is one of my favorite memories of my grandpa.  It combines fishing, boating, etc. and it made me proud at the time that he trusted me enough to trust his life to my construction skills.  


Another moment like that where I tend to think back on an event with fondness was the time Grandma came out and drove around on our tractor or when Mark, Jessica and I took Logan and Roscoe camping in southern UT.

This next image may go down as one of those moments. This is my mom feeding her first bottle to a calf.  Good times.
It was fun having mom out for swimming, dinner, FHE, and smores and the moment pictured above reminded me of her dad.  I guess that is a good thing for memorial day.

3 comments:

Nancy Sabina said...

Go, Mom! Does look like good times.

angela michelle said...

nice post, joe. sounds like the common denominator on all those memorable events is cross-generational fun--when one generation shares their idea of fun with another generation, who is willing to be a good sport about it.

Grampa Earl said...

I like the plastic bottle for feeding the calf. When I was a youngsta we had a metal pail with a nipple for feeding the calves. It worked fine except that a calf instinctively butts his mother from time to time to get her to let her milk down (I know it sounds crazy, but that's cows for you :-) ) So when the calf butts the pail of milk, it tends to slop all over, and if you get caught unprepared you might even end up wearing the calf's breakfast. Ask me how I know.