Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Stock Trailer Done!

Finally some closure - the stock trailer "bow" replacement job is over and done with.  Here is a short progression in photos:


Bows are rusted through and the top is collapsed:

Several bows removed (I ended up taking out one more than shown in this picture and probably should have just done the next one too - I ended up spending a ton of time welding in new metal patch sections into it...in retrospect it would have been easier to just replace it.

The new "bows" are bent and ready to install:

New bows welded in place:

New top bar supports getting ready to weld on:

All welded up, primed and painted:

What's next you ask?  Well, I have my eyes on a different trailer that is convertible from just a regular flatbed utility trailer to a stock trailer (the cage portion is removable.)  I'm going to try to either sell this on outright and use the proceeds to get a convertible trailer or try to find someone who wants to trade.  

Since I have owned this trailer, I have had to rent or borrow a flatbed trailer over and over again for various tasks and jobs.  Utility trailers are usually shorter (12' to 18') than this trailer (20') so this trailer should actually be worth more than most utility trailers so it shouldn't be too hard to get a good trade.  I don't mind having a bit smaller of a trailer since I don't really run a lot of cattle.  Having the added utility of the conversion from stock trailer to utility trailer and back though, would be very cocnvenient.  Cross your fangers - I'm sure the magic of CL will hook me up.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

That trailer was always too big for us. I think the most animals we ever transported in there was 2 cows. Glad to see that thing go!

Wendy said...

nice job joe!

Cheaper than the movies and there's free coffee said...

Looks great, bro. Like a new trailer!