Monday, May 5, 2008

AI

We got Ol' Bessie on 11/24/07 at an age of around 3-6 months (major guesstimate here.) That means that she is approx 8-11 months old. The two longhorn heifers that we have are actually probably about 2-3 months older than Ol' Bessie. Cattle can usually be bred for the first time at around 14 months to have their first calves at 2 years of age.

What does all this mean?

It means that it is time to start shopping for sperm! I have a contact who does Artificial Insemination (AI) and who I have spoken with regarding this subject. We need to get them "synchronized" on their cycles, and then get them bred. I'm hoping to buy some championship semen online so we have some real nice babies.

3 comments:

angela michelle said...

Wow, "buying championship semen online" is one of the weirdest phrases I've ever read. Wow.

Anonymous said...

There's a lot of that kind of stuff that goes on around my neck of the woods. We actually have a company called "Sexing Technologies." I can't help but giggle every time I hear it!

Farmer Joe said...

Yeah, you can buy sexed semen to reproduce heifers instead of bulls. Apparently the technology has come a long way in the last few years and is getting very accurate.

On a side note, I just found out that the longhorn heifers are actually probably closer to 2 years old, so they are probably already ready to breed. Ol' Bessie isn't too far behind her, so maybe we can advance our plans here...