Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Perspective

I spent most of yesterday filling in for a couple of no-shows in Chicago. What that meant was that I tackled a gigantic branch that was blown down in a storm in cousin Frank's back yard. It was bigger than a lot of trees and took me the whole day to get it chopped up and processed so that the city of Naperville would pick up all the branches. At the end of the day, we had 5 guys from our crew show up to assist in the final cleanup and one of them made the following comment (referring to Frank's house.) "Wow, these guys are rich." If only he had known that Frank actually (currently) owns two such houses (they are trying to sell their old one) he would have been blown away.
Frank's house is definitely very nice, but I never would have thought to classify him as "rich." It was a good reminder for me of the blessings we enjoy and to not to take things like that for granted.

1 comment:

angela michelle said...

Awesome that you had a chance to help Frank out. I had a similar experience when I was in college and a coworker drove me home to Mom and Dad's. He didn't say anything, but the atmosphere in the car became almost uncomfortable when he saw the neighborhood. Also I saw a worksheet Haley's birth father filled out during therapy where he was supposed to imagine his long-term dreams and what he wanted out of life. He said he wanted a house where he would mow the lawn. Mowing the lawn was his ultimate dream of success and happiness. And sadly, he probably will never have a house where he mows the lawn.