Friday, August 15, 2008

Topwater

It's a rare day that I can coax a bass to hit a topwater lure....today is one of those days. I landed 2 bass and had a third one on the line when he spit the lure tonight. What a great feeling. Over the years, I have only found one other lake where I could get the bass to hit a topwater lure...

Topwater lures are different than most bass lures because kinstead of sinking down and trolling across the bottom, or being pulled under water by a special fin, they are designed to float all the way at the top. Tonight, I was using a 3" long plug with a scoop on the front that makes a "ploop" sound when you "pop" it with a quick jerk. I found that if I let it sit motionless for 20 seconds or so, then gave it the slightest tingle or two followed shortly by a solid pop, they would hit it.

Getting a bite up at the top is lots of fun and very exciting because you can actually watch when the fish hit the lure (rather than just feeling them tug on the line.) It adds a visual element to an experience that is usually far more tactile. Speaking of visual, it was a beautiful night for fishing - the water was like glass, the temperature was just right, and there was a beauty of a sunset. I hate to admit that I like Texas, but compared to what I've been getting in Chicago, this place absolutely rocks!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Don't start liking Texas too much!

angela michelle said...

It makes me very happy to think of you "tingling" your line on a glassy lake.