Saturday, February 7, 2009

A body built for biking

My old HS buddy texted me that he was spending the night in Erwin Park in Mckinney.  I brought  Winter down to hang out with his daughter and afteer an hour or so, Granma & grampa came to pick her up for a weekend of hanging out with them.  I figured the opportunity would be great for a quick bike ride.  Originally I was going to do it in the dark (with a headlamp) but I totally wussed out on that and decided instead to just sleep there and ride this morning. 

Now I haven't really ridden my bike in months and I haven't really been "riding" with any sort of seriousness in what must be over a year.  In fact, just recently I have started to feel the winded-ness of old age and a lack of aerobic activity setting in.  I was a bit worried about totally bonking out on the trail and truly embarassing myself.  I can barely run to the end of the driveway without feeling like my lungs will explode.
I started out on the trail this morning and soon met up with two other bikers going the other way.  They mentioned that the trail is sort of a oneway type trail, so I turned around and started following them.  I was surprised to be able to keep up and actually followed them the entire way (something like 8 miles?)  I was really surprised.  It felt good and like I just got off the bike yesterday.  Anyway, it's crazy that I can't run really at all, but I can hop on a bike after forever and just jump right back into it.

3 comments:

angela michelle said...

i've always hated running and been terrible at it even when i'm in pretty good shape. your bod just loves the bike!

Grandpa Earl said...

You're a STUD, dude.

Farmer Joe said...

Gramps, you missed the point. The point is not that I am stud, but that I am an incredibly miserable runner. The idea was to highlight the disparity between my ability to ride and inability to run.

Thanks for the compliment though.