Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Financial Betrayal

Trip into Leonard to buy a fishtank for the tadpoles and minnows the kids caught (turned into a fish tank, fish food, and a kitten): $15.00


Sidetrip in Leonard at a thrift store where the kids got sandals, socks, shorts, pants, wallets and a clipon tie: $5.30

Trip to Gainesville to the livestock auction where we purchased a new nanny goat: $32.50

That, my friends, is a total 0f $53.80 which is far too much for a day that started with no firm plans for any expenditures at all. Apparently, I need to get to selling some "stuff" so that this doesn't affect our budget.

(Sorry Jefe)

Maybe the moral of the story here is that I can't be trusted with funds when the kids are around. When I am by myself, I just wile away the days locked up in the shop. With the kids here, the things we do seem like things that cost $$.

One more note: My fishing dry spell (that started last fall) has officially ended. While the kids were jumping off the boat and swimming around in the lake today, I strung up a rattletrap and brought in a mess of little crappy and bass. I never hooked into the big lunkers, but it was fun to land a bunch of fish.

One more other note (for unkygiash):
Charly the Jersey steer seems to have managed to rip his ear tag out. I'm not sure what he caught it on. I'm guessing some barb wire somewhere? Behold the gory results:


He may not have an ear tag anymore, but he certainly does have an easily identifiable feature. I guess this way is better anyway seeing as I don't think we ever bothered to write down the number in his eartag...

By the way, Charly is about the friendliest little bovine I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with. He is very calm, lets you walk right up to him and rub him down, and is generally just a pleasant animal to deal with. The Texas grass has been REAL good this summer, so he is also very fat and is heading into fall/winter in good health.

4 comments:

Nancy Sabina said...

Yep. My willpower goes way down when Im with the kids and my ability to spend, spend, spend goes way up. It's dangerous.

Mom said...

It sounds to me as though you got quite a bit for your $50!!

Wendy said...

I do have to say that you cannot really blame the most expensive "item" on the kids though.... Nice job on the price tag for the thrift store!

Jessica said...

You think this is the best way to tell me???