Thursday, August 6, 2009

My Personal Battle w/ Cats

It all started as a newlywed couple living in FL during our internship with Disney. We had an orange tabby cat that we had brought down with us from UT. It lived (and barfed/pooped/etc) in our apartment and I have to admit that I was not a real big fan of the animal living in such close confines with my own person. When the appointed time for the internship to terminate arrived, Jessica hopped a plane to SLC and left me to pack/drive the moving van (we had acquired some earthly possessions and had recently been "de-carred" by a careless driver so it worked to drive a van back instead of the recently demolished car. After a friend and I had packed the apartment up, we were doing a few final checks and hauling out the last few items when Jessica's cat ran out the door. It was the first time the cat had been outdoors there and it straight-up dissappeared. Here's where Jessica's beleif in my story parts ways with what actually happened. Contrary to her every assertion, I DID try to find that cat. I may not have been sad that it was not to be found, but that is irrelevant to the true fact that I did give it the ol' college try.

The cat was not to be found and so began a legacy of false accusations hurled against me for plotting to leave the cat in FL and so be rid of my scourge.

Fast forward to a few weeks back. Jessica leaves for a vacation in DC leaving me with the responsibility to care for:
1 mama cat
2 unweaned baby cats
1 just weaned baby cat
1 other cat

Fast forward to today.

There
is

only

one

cat

left!


Yikes! When the woman discovers this, I can see it now - renewed accusations of skulduggery and plots to dispatch the cats. I swear - the timing could not be worse. When cats dissappear when she is around, there are no accusations of foul-play - just an assumption that the dastardly coyotes have done their work. But now....

5 comments:

Mom said...

Is this like goldfish or the turtle in My Blue Heaven where you can quickly get replacements and the 'children' will never know the difference?

Jessica said...

Uhmmmm.. there were 6 cats when I left, not 5. And YES, I do believe you should have put more effort into finding our cat in Florida: 5 minutes does NOT count. Also, maybe if you would have FED my cats while I was gone, they wouldn't have all DIED!

Farmer Joe said...

On FL - I did spend more than 5 minutes, but I wasn't going to wait around all day.

I did feed the cats. It is not my fault. The momma cat disappeared right after you left! I even bottle fed that little one she left behind and gave another one to a friend to bottle feed it. Sometimes you just caint win....

Renee Campbell said...

Oh this is too funny!

Mark Ashurst-McGee said...

hee hee!