Friday, January 30, 2009

My Man Card....Revoked?

I was on a call with a customer today and she asked me who I was rooting for (in the Superbowl.)  Yikes, I had to admit that while I actually do know who is playing this year (thank you Jay Leno) I have not watched a single game this year.  So, in an attempt to retain my man card, I shall now describe my manly activities:
  • Last night I hotwired my tractor (can't find the key doggone it) and used the front end loader to flip my bushog (PTO-operated field mower) over so I could use my grinder to sharpen the blades.  You see, in traditional farming, the winter is the time to work on the implements to get them prepped for the summer season.)
  • Today I spent the day flipping between my binoculars and the scope on my 30.06 trying to coordinate with a coyote so that he would stop for a moment while he was on my property and I had my rifle up with him sighted in the scope.  At the end of the day, he had only stepped onto one small corner of our lot for a brief moment - I had no shot.  But I do have a call and I will get him one day.
  • Tomorrow I am going to buy an (almost antique) sickle-bar mower.  It is essentially a gigantic (7-foot wide) set of clippers like your barber uses.  It mounts on the tractor and cuts hay in a hedgetrimming-type of fashion.  Since it just cuts each blade once (rather than beating each piece into a million pieces like my rotary bushhog mower) that grass can then be gathered up and saved as hay.  I have been wanting to do this for some time now.  
Is that enough?  Should I go spit or something?

OK, one final thing, this video is just plain hilarious - I found it while surfing Youtube looking for video about coyote hunting.  This is the "best shot ever" taken:

4 comments:

Jessica said...

You get a point taken away from your man card for hitting your thumb with a hammer!

Nancy Sabina said...

I think the problem you're having is that you have a "Real Man Card" instead of a "Sit on Your Butt and Scratch Watching Football Man Card". I don't think anybody who knows you would question your rights to your Real Man Card.

But Jessica's right - you do loose Real Man Card points for hitting your thumb with a hammer!

Doug Taylor said...

Only women would claim you lose points for hitting your thumb with a hammer. If you're working on something and DON'T hit your thumb with the hammer you obviously weren't working hard enough.

Cheaper than the movies and there's free coffee said...

Whenever my man card needs renewal, I always go to Joe's farm for a staggering variety of manly activities.